Thursday 9 June 2011

Kuba's 1990's. The end of the beginning. 1991

1991. Oh, that was the year. Or maybe I should say The Year. It really changed my life with music. To tell the truth I discovered 1991 about a year later. I mean I was aware of bands like Pearl Jam or RHCP but it was really 1992 – when I started my secondary school – when I discovered how important they are. For me, not for the world. But it doesn't really matter now. Anyway 1991 starts with my a bit softer side.




There were times that even tortured I wouldn't admit listening to a-ha or Queen. But in the end of the 80s and beginning of the 90s both of the bands were among my favourites. Probably I didn't even know that a-ha were from Norway. For sure I didn't know that Crying In the Rain was a cover – that's a new discovery for me and I've heard the original sung by Everly Brothers a few weeks ago for the first time. Yeah, I had to listen to Everlys' album because my 1001 blog demanded it.
It doesn't change anything. I still think that a-ha's version is the best ever. Probably it could make any tough bastard cry (in the rain or in the sun). And I ain't no tough bastard.


Now I think that Queen was the first important rock band in my life. I didn't realize it then, I probably didn't even think about what was important and what wasn't. But that's the truth – it was the first band I really, really liked. I was buying the cassettes, I was watching the videos (it wasn't that easy in the communist Poland), I tried to translate the lyrics (no success, though). In the 80s I wasn't really the guy who is looking for any article or news about his favourite band. I didn't care about Queen's history or Freddie Mercury's private life. In the beginning of the 90s I was more aware of music (and it's importance), so Innuendo was the album to wait for. And for sure it wasn't disappointing. And the title track proves that Queen was one of the most talented, most innovative and simply one of the greatest bands in history of British music. Call it a kitsch, that's OK. But it's still catchy kitsch.


Some say that Metallica (or The Black Album if you prefer) was the beginning of the end of the biggest thrash band ever. Sure, it's not Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets. It was the new Metallica, more commercially orientated, a bit mainstream (go to hell, all you hipster kitties). That was the time they became the metal version of The Rolling Stones: you know, all stadium gigs sold out and stuff like that. Yeah. But they were and they still are one of the biggest metal bands ever. EVER. Just go and see them live. Enter Sandman was the hard choice – I chose it mainly because it's the first track on the album. I just couldn't decide.


There were the times when I tried to dress like Eddie Vedder. Or to tell the truth, like Eddie Vedder combined with Layne Staley. Everybody listened to grunge then. (Well, almost everybody). And I was no exception. After twenty years I think that Pearl Jam was the best band originating from grunge. Nirvana was great, but for a while (and I never liked Kurt Cobain's hysterical life attitude). Alice In Chains was always more metallish than grunge. Soundgarden was half great, half boring. Pearl Jam was never disappointing. Ten is for sure one of my most favourite albums ever. It's flawless. And it didn't get old. It still sounds great. I know, it's a kind of nostalgia. But not only. I waited 18 years to see Pearl Jam live. And I was amazed by their charisma, skills and strength. The band was playing for over two and half hours. It could be one of the best concerts I've ever seen. But (there's always 'but') they didn't play Jeremy. My favourite song of may favourite Pearl Jam album...


Probably from all 50 songs (and 50 bands) I've mentioned on my 90s list Pixies mean the least for me. I don't listen to Pixies anymore, I don't follow Frank Black's solo career. I just don't care. But in the beginning of 90s Trompe le Monde opened my eyes (or ears) to alternative rock. Pixies was the band which showed me the way to Sonic Youth, Jane's Addiction, Firehose and many others. And Alec Eiffel was the song I really loved with all my heart. Today when I think about Pixies I start humming little Eiffel stands in the archway... Of course only if I'm not thinking about Andrea Spinks.


I don't know what to write about Nirvana and this song. Sometimes I think I was like a sheep in a herd. Everybody said that Nirvana was a great band so I thought Nirvana was a great band. Now I think it wasn't so great. Very-fucking-important it was for sure. Still Smells... is a fantastic song. And Nevermind was a revolutionary album. I do not think about Nirvana too much. I prefer Grohl's Foo Fighters. But a few days ago I saw Does It Offend You, Yeah? (BTW, I highly recommend this band) playing live and they played Nirvana's cover (Aneurysm). And I felt like I was 15 again.
Anyway, Nirvana was a cool band. But not great. And now it's hard for me to think about it seriously. It's all Garth Ennis's fault. If you read Preacher comic book, you know what I mean.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Arseface.


I apologize if any of you is a RHCP fan. But Blood Sugar Sex Magik was the last good album recorded by this band. After 1991 they became more and more predictable (OK, maybe there were some surprises on One Hot Minute), more and more boring. The became I-couldn't-care-less-band. But BSSM was amazing. A volcano of energy. A bonfire of talent. One of the best party albums in my whole life (at least then, now we are old and we drink vodka listening to Tom Waits, don't we?). And when you're 14 or 15 years old, you just want to be like Anthony Kiedis. Only because all the pretty girls in your class were in love with him. You want to have long hair, muscles and tattoos. After twenty years there's nothing left from this dreams. Long hair? Forget. Muscles? Well hidden. Tattoos? One.
Crap.


Nowadays Armia is one of the bands I really don't like. It's because it's frontman Tomasz Budzynski is now an orthodox catholic waging war with everybody. But I remember the times when he used to be a punkrocker. OK, more sophisticated than his fellows, more intelligent and more demanding from his fans. But he was one of us. You know, young, rebellious, trustworthy. Legenda – Armia's 1991 album – is probably the best Polish punk record ever. I used to listen to it everyday. It was heavy but poetic. Combining punk with some metal riffs and trombone. Just amazing. Perfect. Legendary. And once I've heard Opowieść zimowa played by Armia but sung by Lao Che's singer Spięty. And that was something worth living for, I tell you.  

5 comments:

  1. God, I so wish I could be with you on Queen here... The Innuendo was quite possibly their best album ever. I absolutely hate early Queen and after first two seconds of the Bohemian Rhapsody i turn the radio off or change the channel. It's one of the most hideous songs I've ever heard. But here was something behind Innuendo to elevate it to a masterpiece.

    Well, we all know now what it was. But my problem was that being already a Queen fan (although not really embracing much of the music from before A Kind of Magic) I was obviously devastated when Mr. Farrokh Bulsara died but what happened after that with Queen hysteria, managed to successfully put me off that band for the rest of my life. Seriously. As much as I adored Innuendo as one of the greatest albums ever, I can't stand a single track from Queen any more. It's like thinking of food that made you really really sick in the past.

    Great job with a-ha though! :-) I, personally, much prefer Stay on These Roads, but Crying in the Rain is not far behind. Absolutely hate Take on Me though :->

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly, I do not listen to Queen anymore. I agree, with Mercury's death Queen's music became somehow unbearable. The same happened to Nirvana or Michael Jackson. But when I was preparing the 90s list, I just couldn't omit Innuendo. I haven't heard this song for over ten years, but I found it on YouTube and I thought it's still fantastic. One day you'll give it a try again.

    And now...

    Scaramouche, Scaramouche, let's do the fandango.

    And you've just read it with Freddie's voice :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes and no.

    Yes, because the mechanism was the same, but 'no' because since I wasn't that much into Nirvana before it became too much, I can happily go back to that music and appreciate it today.

    With M.J. the situation is different altogether. As a child molester it's actually a shame it took him so long to die.

    But that Queen hysteria simply scarred me for the rest of my life. Can't imagine myself ever enjoying any of their music again.

    As for your 'trick', you'd need to try harder.It doesn't work for me. Maybe because I'm shielded by THIS, much more iconic, version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wrote loads, but once again this shit laptop, Satan's own work fucked it up. Well done Bill. So here's a far less amusing brief summary.

    a-ha - nice track, didn't know much apart from Take On Me. Is this your soppy side?
    Queen - famous for me because of the scouser next door, a huge Queen fan who drove round in a mobility scooter with a 4-pack of cheap lager in the front basket, blating out Queen. Did he get up during the Spanish bit in the middle? Or do you? I know all the obvious Queen songs. I mean, it's difficult to stop Konrad singing Bohemian Rapsody, it's very, very frightening ;-}. Actually sounds far better than some of their stuff. Metallica - good choice. PJ - I like Jeremy and it's not the obvious choice Coleman! Alec Eiffel was one of my contenders but I still love the Pixies. I like Frank Black's first two albums but following that there are only a handful of decent songs. Some of it is just painful from a guy known as a Guru of Grunge (not my words). Teen Spirit is a great track but just overplayed. Foo Fighters, I wouldn't ever say I prefer them but I really like the first albums. Can't stand the commercial sellout. RHCP - I am in total agreement here except I never liked them enough for them to get in my 90s. The Leeds Festival gig was the ultimate killer. A shit performance. The highlight was Flea showing his penis during a cold summer evening in Yorkshire. Not much of a highlight as it was tiny and that was a huge disappointment...much like mine ;-O Left to get a good position to watch the Flaming Lips. Armia's track has a nice riff and some good shouty vocals. I like punk and metal, generally. Never heard of it, of course, I'm English, we make the best music, why bother with it if it's not in English. Why don't we all just speak English? Oh, we are doing here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete