Saturday 14 May 2011

Coleman's 1990's; Part one - 1990

There is no doubt that the Nineties were the busiest decade for me, music-wise. I've entered my Sturm und Drang teens and for the first time became properly music aware. Then, (seems today-) just as suddenly I've waved goodbye those teens and welcomed my twenties. Since I was blessed with a good handful of friends with original and eclectic musical tastes, something new and exciting was always just round the corner. We've had the classical one (aka Ciupi), the punk one (aka Adasiek), the Rush-and-everything-six-string-bass-else and me (aka Misiek), and a vampire for dummies (not known as anything particular to my frustration). It was the golden age of discovery, broadening horizons, the time of listening to albums (although on cassettes) late at night, with the headphones on. You know, those most fantastic years of your life, as you remember them :) And it all (chronologically) started like this:




Midnight Oil - Blue Sky Mine





I remember quite well that I've heard this song for the first time while seeing the video on TV. And boy, was it all different... The mad harmonica, Peter Garrett (and his legendary mane) dancing somewhat maniacally, and the sound that, at that time, I was not quite sure whether I liked it or not. But it grew on me and to this day it remains my favourite Oils' song. Yes, they're far more famous for the Beds Are Burning, or maybe even Truganini but my heart stays with Blue Sky Mine. I like those songs, I value them and appreciate. But they don't make me stop whatever I'm doing if I happen to hear them on the radio. Blue Sky Mine does. I've never been a devoted fan as devoted fanatism goes but without a track from the Midnight Oil my selection from the Nineties would definitely feel incomplete. 
And, a funny thing... Only now I realise how much the Oils were like U2 in some ways. There are similarities in the sound, charismatic singer and a very strong political stance. Thankfully, for the Midnight Oil that did not turn into a multi-million fake pose for teenage girls and Apple-brandishing neo-hippies. Well done, lads. Respect.


ZZ Top - Concrete And Steel




OK, so the Eliminator and Afterburner were not such great albums after all, even if they rocketed ZZ Top's popularity sky high. Even I won't argue that. But exceptions aside, the bearded trio has always been a very good blues-rock band and Recycler was an album that managed to bring this sound back. Just more modern than on the early recordings, which could only mean a good thing, right? Well, I think it did. And the only problem is, that I actually prefer Tell it, but then got rushed, mixed up and included Concrete and Steel in my selection. And I simply couldn't be bothered to change it all afterwards. Then again, it's still my second best on that album and it's also a nice and solid piece of rock, if you excuse the pun. The Recycler was also the first 'proper music' album I bought on vinyl. I remember where that music shop used to be and that I was compensating myself for a visit at the dentist which I did not enjoy much. Boy, did that record make me happy when I came back home!


Heroes del Silencio - Entre dos Tierras





Only now I realise that when I first heard that song it was already at least six, maybe seven years old. And if it wasn't for the fantastic music TV stations of the Nineties (Viva Zwei, good old MTV before it became worse than shite) I probably wouldn't have at all. And what a loss would that be! Gripping, passionate video, utterly brilliant song, and a great, great band. I still don't think that Spanish goes particularly well with rock, but with Heroes... I am willing to turn the blind eye. I also find this song to be not that far from the gothic rock aesthetics, which is another little bonus. It's a case of one of those not-a-goth-band-but-a-band-that-goths-like, I suppose. Can't fault it. And if I were a teenage girl (back in the Nineties, that is) there'd be some serious melting down going on in the knees region for senor Enrique Bunbury in that video. No shame in admitting that ;p


Alien Sex Fiend - Katch 22





Years and years ago (in those mythical Nineties some of you read in your history books about) I was promising myself that when I finally buy my first car I'd paint a big ASF logo on it's roof. I have seen it once on an old Citroen, that must have lived in my neighbourhood, and on a side of a white van. I still feel tempted, although I think it would take something more quirky than Toyota avensis to actually look cool. Maybe I'll just leave it for my midlife crisis then and some more eccentric set of wheels.
Katch 22 is an opening track from one of the three most (if not THE most brilliant) brilliant ASF albums - Curse. It is also probably the most popular one. As far as I can remember the video to Now I'm Feeling Zombiefied appeared in MTV's Beavis and Butt-head although (sadly, as it was quite cool) it doesn't seem to exist on YouTube today. Nevermind. With or without a clip, enjoy the 12 minutes of true goth madness in the best Batcave tradition. Just as me, Ciupi and Adasiek did, when drunk on as much as one beer per decapita we've given a pagan dance in a forest once with electric torches standing in for strobe lighting and Katch 22 blasting from a stereo casette player. Mad dayz, those, I kid you not.


Sisters of Mercy - Ribbons





Here's the big 'un. Without a doubt, a single most important album in my life and for my music education. The turning point. The birth of the adult me. Well, metaphorically speaking, of course. Before that I've already had artists I liked and was taking some interest in but it was still more of a heard-on-the-radio-and-liked-it kind of way. And then, out of nowhere, there was More on the radio and I totally fell in love with the voice and the music. I wanted to know everything about the band and when one of my friends mentioned in the context of Sisters the term 'gothic rock' that was it. My future, my taste and personality were shaped in that very moment for the rest of my life. I, obviously, love the whole album and More kept it's spot as No 1 for a number of years. But as I've (allegedly) matured with time my love shifted ever so slightly. Ribbons has one of the meatiest riffs in the history of music, I love the personal and painfully nostalgic tint of the lyrics and the hysteria in Eldritch's voice at the end. I've seen Sisters live three times and every time Ribbons would be for me THE track to wait for. Never had to wait in vain, thank God of Thunder. I might have grown a tad since then, my taste could have evolved a bit further, but The Sisters Of Mercy still does and forever will remain as my favourite band ever. Full stop. And this song, for me, is one of their absolute finest.


Das Ich - Gottes Tod





'Is there a scary side to being a goth?' I hear you ask. Well, it all depends what scares you. For me, there was a time, when Das Ich would seem to be just a little bit scary. But I was a young batling then, not a fully-fledged vampire like now. It was probably the first band to make me realise that the whole 'movement' might be stretching a little bit further than the British scene or gothic rock bands of the Eighties. And Germany indeed took it and made into something else altogether. I used to be slightly put off by the acts pushing their image into such extremes but today it rather amuses me than anything else. And then again what does it matter anyway? But the music, the music is still just as powerful, the cold electronic sounds just as harsh and the voice still as captivating. The cold, brutal energy is there, the shivers down the spine are not gone either. Das Ich with the whole Satanische Verse album and Gottes Tod especially opened a whole new world of music for me back then and I'm happy to admit, I'm still enjoying it just as much today. Kudos to Łukasz Burbo, who copied the casette for me :)


Vangelis - Procession




Now, honestly... Could there be any more amazing track to close the year? We've had some rock, we've had some avant-garde, sub-genres and weirdos, but that is all past now. Time for the grand finale. Cue the big daddy of grand - Vangelis Papathanassiou! Procession ends The City album, which quite clearly harks back to his work on the Blade Runner soundtrack. As a concept album it's rather quite perfect, one should say ;) Even though the title and cover art are definitely suggestive, I'm quite confident that presented to anyone for the first time, with no knowledge of either, it would still evoke the emotions and associations it was meant to. that of a city. Not as much as a place, but as an entity, as if 'cityness' was a some sort of form of life. There is not a day, not a mood when playing that album would feel for me out of place. I don't go back to it too often, but when I do, it's still as perfect as the first time. I've chosen Procession mainly because it stands out. When I was preparing my selection of tracks, I had no idea that it would put an end bracket on the first year of my list. But it fits here more perfectly than anything else would. And I strongly recommend, once you've read it, hit the 'play', sit back and close your eyes. When you open them again, the day will not be the same.
I promise.


SHORTCUTS:

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just realized that there will be no argues about our choices. Probably. And that's because they are personal. I don't know yet, who's involved in this project (you and me, of course, Jonathan for sure, Lee maybe and who else?) but for all of us the Nineties were the formative years. The time you don't just like something you've heard on the radio or you've seen on MTV. (By the way, those were the times when MTV still was the MUSIC television...). We all started looking for something new, fresh, explore the genres we loved (for you it was - more or less - gothic, for me - punk and hardcore, and both of them quickly turned into metal).
    Sometimes I regret being advanced listener. I became grumpy. I still look for something amazing (that's why I write my 1001 blog), but sometimes I feel like I've heard everything, which surely is not even close to truth.
    But ad rem: I can't blame you for choosing eg. Midnight Oil's 'Blue Sky Mine' (BTW this shit is still awesome). I wouldn't even think about it, but it's your choice, not mine. OK, when I read your list, a few song surprised me. But only because I didn't know you like them. Maybe after we exchange our thoughts about favourite songs, album, etc. we could try a little game? For example: everyone names 50 (or less, it could be a bit easier) most important punk (folk, blues, indie, whatever) albums. Then we compare our lists. And fight about them. And in the end together we could create the decent list of the best albums (of the year, decade, genre, whatever). Then we would become famous, very (oh, very, very) rich and I could find some time
    to improve my English.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing to disagree, huh? Well, you're excused to say that as you simply haven't seen Jonathan's choice yet :> It just happens that us two could swap our music collections and there'd be very few albums we wouldn't touch. If I swapped mine with Jonathan's, I'd probably end up burning some of it while he would feel obliged to take a sledgehammer to some of my albums. With Lee, well I guess there'd be enough there to put me to sleep for a month, while in exchange some of my music would just make him look at me with pity. You know, there's always room for mocking among friends and personally, I can't wait for it to get a bit more busy here :D

    BTW, you could potentially totally blame me for the Oils. Especially if you happened ton to like them. After all, what's better to discuss than personal choices, than the taste? There's so little fun to be had in discussing stone cold facts, n'est-ce pas?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure there's room for mocking among friends. And I will sure be mocked for my die-hard-metal-satan-list one day. The difference is that even if I mentioned Rob Zombie's song I wouldn't place him among the 50 most important musicians of the 90's. Would you? That's the matter to discuss and not if it's OK to like Rob Zombie or Midnight Oil or Coldplay or whatever band you mention. It's a matter to laugh (or not) at, though. I still think you can't really discuss taste... Or maybe you can. I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think all of us so far share quite a fair bit of ground and this could lead to a 'best of' from specific bands, like Faith No More.
    Your 1990 selection is quite a mix. I like the Midnight Oil track.
    Hated the ZZ Top and I want to avoid hearing it again as I might end up liking it. It's not my music and there's part of me that doesn't want to.
    Heroes del Silencio is a damn good track. Reminds me of Noir Desir in places. Very melodic.
    Alien Sex Fiend, well, this could appear on 'songs my mother hates'. It's not easy listening but it grows on you like walking past an ugly industrial factory, or Sheffield. It has character and grows on you. You find beauty in its ugliness. Well you've got to with a face like mine.
    I had forgotten this Sisters track (hang him, blasphemy!!!) but it's good one...incoming!!!

    Das Ich is very typically Konrad. Say something remotely scary in German (not difficult, even Schmetterling sounds scary, Messerschmitt, even Kartoffeln) and put an industrial rhythm, some goth keyboard sounds, and Konrad is first in queue for the concert, having chosen a colour scheme of 40 shades of black . For me it's trying too hard to be scary and weird. What the fuck do some of them look like? Point proven.

    I like Vangelis. He's like a hairy chested Jarre. It's a nice track, I'm sure I heard it on one of those 'best of ambient sounds' or 'best of mood' albums. There's nothing I dislike about it and at 10 mins Konrad can feel like he's got his money's worth. In fact why aren't you fighting for a law stating that all songs must be epic and at least 10 mins long?

    ReplyDelete
  8. To be honest, Alien Sex Fiend is probably one of those bands, that you're much better off if your (meaning 'anybody's') mother doesn't even know that they exist. It's one of those bands which offer you a fascination that you always feel just a little bit guilty about. If the Fiends weren't displaying a very healthy helping of sense of humour throughout their career, they'd probably be sending little chills down my spine but when you do get the theatricality of their music and the image, it's much, much easier to like them. I'd expect them to be a really good fun down the pub on a Friday night. You know, their a bit mad, a bit macabresque, a bit dark and a bit morbid but all in all, in a charming way :)

    As for Das Ich I must admit that I'm not buying into the whole weirdo and fetishist aspect of it (same story with Umbra et Imago and some other similarly placed bands actually). It even puts me off if anything, because I do appreciate when people take themselves a little bit less seriously. But then again, it's Germans we're talking about, so don't expect half-measures. I got hooked on their music when CDs were still a rarity and had no idea about the image until years later, when we entered the Internet era, so I hope that explains whether I went for the look or for the sound in this case :>

    ReplyDelete